thinking some craaaazy thoughts about flooring

For the longest time when we talked about the "style/feel/look" of HdP we used phrases like "farmhouse" "modern ranch" [insert creative designer lingo here]. Things seemed pretty straightforward: big windows, white walls, vaulted ceilings and wood floors--ALWAYS wood floors. Life was simple...
Yaaaassss. Give me all the wide-plank, oak flooring. 

well...

Maybe it was the kids, maybe it was the dogs, maybe it was the heat, or the dirt, or the sun, or the time spent at nana's house with slate flooring... I started to question the survival rate of wood floors in HdP. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have beautiful, long, wide, oak planks running the full expanse of our home. But what would they look like after a summer (or, even more importantly, a rainy season) with all the dirt, rocks, and who-knows-what being tracked inside? What would they look like after G and Clem had their way with them?

Georgie Sue making "cocktails" on nana's floor

Tom and I talked a lot about options. His parents have slate floors at their house in every room except the bedrooms. It's pretty great, not my style, but great because it is bullet proof. Heck, when I need 20 minutes of child-free time I've been known to fill a pot with water and just put it in the center of the living room with some cups and a few towels. Now I know I can't do that with wood.

With that in mind, we started to talk about the new(ish) trend of tile that looks like wood. We had actually considered doing that at Palm, but went with the commercial-grade laminate instead citing the hardness of tile and our fears of G taking a tumble while learning to walk on it. Unlike Palm, HdP is single story (or will be) and our parenting fears have become a little more, how do you say, relaxed.   So there I was, Pinteresting my life away looking at images of tile-that-looks-like-wood floors when I had a thought... What are we going to think about this in 10 years or so? I mean, is this going to look dated at some point? Will wood/tile floors become a passing fad?

Is it tile? is it wood? Who knows? Answer: Your baby's head when she falls. 

The thought had me worried. I know we went into this whole remodel using phrases like "modern farmhouse" "urban ranch" and whatnot. And yes, I do like the houses that Chip and Johanna seem to effortlessly churn out on Fixer Upper, so we did have a "look" in mind. But we still wanted to make it our own. And in making it our own, we wanted the style of HdP to be timeless. It's hard to walk that timeless line. How do you infuse personality yet not succumb to trends? Needless to say, the tile/wood floor had me worried. Is this going to haunt us down the road? And if so, then what kind of flooring should we do?

I tried to think of "timeless" flooring options? I mean, there's obviously wood, but that's already out. Marble? Um, no. Travertine? Bleh. Concrete? Hip, but wouldn't work. Carpet? Kill me (with allergies and germs). I was getting desperate. But then, hold the phone, what about terra cotta?

I think Johanna Gaines just threw up in her mouth a little bit. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Before we get into "Oh my gosh, you're changing your whole stye from farmhouse to Spanish?!?!" Let me clarify. I'm not thinking shiny, square, classic Spanish tile, I'm thinking this:


Muuuuch better, right? Not too shiny, not too square, not too ornate BUT still pretty, durable, easy-to-maintain. I like how terra cotta is the kind of floor that gets better with age, use, wear, damage. The patina develops over time. And it's TIMELESS. I mean, look how hip we can make this:

Just imagine it with a lot more food on the floor thanks to G and Clem. 

So there you have it. My current state of the floor address. I'm sure it will change 50 more times. I still haven't really made my case with the designer yet (I'm sure she will be dubious) and I'm kept awake at night by the question of what to do with the floor in the bedrooms, but I feel like I'm pretty set on this in the living and kitchen areas.

Comments

Popular Posts